Wednesday, February 20, 2013


I decided to start off my 30th year of life with a bang. Well, a jump, really. A jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

Skydiving isn't something I've been wanting to do my whole life. I've never had that burning desire to do it. But, I was thinking about how if I'm ever going to do it, Hawaii is the place. And since we only have a year and half left here, and I'm HOPING to have another baby before we leave, that this was my time. So it was now or never.

I was a little bit nervous leading up to the day. Just the usual butterflies. The morning of, I woke up tired, and didn't even care to think about what I was about to do. I just wanted to go back to sleep. Once we arrived, the butterflies came back. I took a picture of Spencer in case it would be his last, and I found it pretty funny that he had chipmunk cheeks. I didn't really think we were going to die. As soon as we got on the plane, I started getting pretty pumped. My tandem instructor was cool. He had his earphones in, listening to his music the whole time. I kept thinking about the poor old lady in our plane who I knew was scared out of her mind, but wanted to do it for her 50th birthday.

I freaked out a little bit when I saw the guy in front of me jump. It looked so crazy how he was there one second, then he was just gone. My turn came, and I didn't have much time to think of anything before we were flying through the air. We were free falling for a full minute, and it was absolutely the thrill of a lifetime. I kept excitedly screaming, but then I realized my mouth dried up in about half a second. I looked at our photographer every now and then who kept doing weird/funny things, and I wasn't sure if he expected me to copy him or what. He was pulling out the dragon claws and fake picking his nose.

Once my instructor pulled the parachute, he started talking about how the photographer had to cut away. I didn't really understand what he was talking about, but he kept saying "right in the middle of the field". Come to find out, the photographer's chute got tangled, he started spinning out - apparently almost bad enough to the point of blacking out - and had to use his reserve. Pretty scary. I would have absolutely freaked out if it happened to us.

The parachute ride down to landing was really beautiful. That lasted long enough to have plenty of thoughts like falling/dying, etc. I just kept telling myself that this guy knew what he was doing. We landed just fine, then I watched Spencer land shortly after.

We went to lunch, picked up some cupcakes, then spent the rest of the day reliving the events and relaxing. I'm pretty happy I got this one checked off my bucket list(even though it wasn't ever really on it to begin with) before 30. Once I can figure out how to get the video on here, I'll post it.

No comments: