Sunday, January 26, 2014

21 weeks


Not a lot of new information this week, but I'm trying to keep up with the updates consistently. 

I feel like right now is the most paranoid time for me. The babies don't have a chance of survival until 24 weeks. We're so so close! If something were to happen now, it would be heartbreaking. But I'm not counting on any of that drama, so let's just keep going with this pregnancy business.

In case you didn't know about triplet pregnancies, here are some facts:

- They are very high risk, for several reasons. The greatest risk is premature birth. I found some info on Baby Center's website:


Aside from preterm labor, there are several possible problems:
  • Twins and triplets often don't have a chance to reach a healthy weight before they're born. While the average single baby weighs 7 pounds at birth, the average twin weighs 5.5 pounds. Triplets typically weigh 4 pounds each, and quads weigh 3 pounds each. Babies born at under 5.5 pounds are considered to have a low birth weight.

    Babies with low birth weights are likely to have health problems even if they weren't born prematurely. Low-birth-weight babies often have trouble breathing on their own. They may not be fully prepared to fight infections, control their body temperature, or put on weight. For these reasons, almost all low-birthweight babies have to spend time in a neonatal intensive care unit before going home.
  • Preeclampsia, a disorder characterized by high blood pressure and protein in the urine, develops in roughly 10 to 15 percent of women carrying twins, twice the rate of women carrying one baby. The condition tends to develop earlier as well. And once it starts, it can be especially severe. When preeclampsia is severe, it can affect many of your organs and your placenta and cause serious or even life-threatening problems.
  • Gestational diabetes is more common in women carrying more than one baby. If you develop gestational diabetes, your practitioner will monitor you closely. You'll most likely be able to keep your blood sugar levels under control with diet and exercise, and by getting insulin shots if you need them. Poorly controlled diabetes can have serious consequences for you and your babies.
  • Placental abruption, when the placenta detaches from the uterine wall before delivery, is also more likely when you're carrying more than one baby. It can happen any time in the second half of pregnancy and can lead to growth problems, preterm delivery, or stillbirth.

So obviously there are still things to worry about even after 24 weeks, but we are thinking positively over here and hoping for the best. As for me, I feel great these days. I am huge, there is no denying that - and with that hugeness comes the usual discomforts of having to roll off the couch/bed, get creative with how to shave my legs, itchy skin, and just carrying all the extra weight in front. Luckily I got a maternity belt that has helped for the times when I am walking around. The doctors now want me to take it easy. I had to ask them to be more specific with that, and they said I should only leave the house 2-3 times a week, for 2-3 hours at a time. So, that means I get to go to church on Sunday, my weekly perinatal appointment, and then one other outing for my pleasure? I'm not going to lie, I haven't really done the greatest job heeding that advice - but I am trying. I am taking it much easier than usual, but sometimes I just need to go shopping.

My father in law will be flying out hopefully next week. He'll be here until the babies are born, and I know it will be so helpful! I mostly feel bad for Eleanor since I can't take her out as much - so it will be great to just send them off to the beach or park or zoo and know that she is having fun while I get to rest. Also, I'm not allowed to pick her up anymore, which is sad, but we find ways to get around it. She likes to be held a lot still, so when she does, I just sit and hold her, or we'll lay down together and watch a movie. I'm loving all this one on one time with her and will miss it terribly in a few months.

We started buying baby stuff. I found the pimp daddy of all triplet strollers on Craigslist in almost brand new condition. It has a steering wheel for crying out loud! Only problem is that I have to find that brand of car seats to snap into them, and they just so happen to be the most expensive kind. I'm sure it will cause quite a scene every time we take it out, but all the other triplet moms online that I researched raved about this stroller.

We don't have names yet. We are throwing around several possibilities, but nothing is set. I actually don't think we'll even reveal them until they're born. To be honest, I don't want to deal with people's reactions of pretending they like them or giving us their opinion about them. And we have to come up with 3 names! That's a lot! So, don't get your hopes up that we'll be revealing names any time soon. Just expect them when they're born. 


I feel the babies move all the time. I used to feel Baby C the most, but now Baby B has taken over as the most active. Baby A is very very low, so when he moves, it feels kind of funny, and almost tickles. Sometimes I can feel 2 at a time, but I don't think I've felt all 3 at once. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to determine which is which as they get bigger and take up more room. 

Let's compare what my belly looked like at 21 weeks with Eleanor compared to 21 weeks with triplets. 2 extra babies makes a big difference!




21 weeks with Eleanor

21 weeks with the triplets

No comments: